Rashtriya Avishkar Abhiyan (RAA) Programme Implementation Guidelines to all HMs, Science and Maths TeachersCertain guidelines to all school heads (Head Masters), Science and Mathematics teachers of all classes to implement Rashtriya Avishkar Abhiyan (RAA) Programme. MHRD has launched Rashtriya Avishkar Abhiyan (RAA) throughout the country in primary to higher secondary schools in pursuance of the focus on connecting school based knowledge to life outside the school making learning of science, mathematics a joyful meaningful activity and to bring focus on innovation and use of technology.
The aim of this programme is to leverage the potential for science, mathematics and technology learning in school, classroom settings as well as non school settings. That means to develop interest in children towards science, math and technology (SMT) from a very young age that is class I onwards and encourage those children who show an inclination and talent for the subjects to be encouraged and supported to heights of academic excellence and research.
The Kothari commission (1964) noted that the destiny of this country is shaped in the classrooms and laboratories of schools, colleges and universities. Our children should be able to compete in science and technology with advanced countries children. So let us reiterate what we are already doing in schools and classrooms regarding science and mathematics subjects.
Role of DEOs, DPOs, Principals of DIETs, AMOs and MEOs:
Apart from looking into the implementation part of RAA at school level, DEOs, DPOs, principals of DIETs, AMOs and MEOs may plan innovatively for their district. In that process they can plan the following
1. Workshops for teachers at various levels, school complex level, mandal level, divisional level and district level on
a. Making Science lab functional and developing maths lab.
b. Proper use of lab facilities.
c. Integrating teaching learning process with lab experiments.
d. Project based learning
e. Modeling in Science and Mathematics
2. Identify all best science and mathematics teachers of your district and make a list.
3. Identify NGOs and voluntary organizations who are working in the field of SMT (Science, Mathematics and Technology).
4. Make a list of eminent personalities who worked in the field of science and technology.
5. Make list of government science and technology institutions situated in your district. Send these lists to SPO, SSA office.
6. The DPOs have to play a lead role in seeking the assistance of such institutes as mentors to support in nurturing the identified schools as incubators of innovation.
7. Constitution of teacher forums on science, Mathematics and Technology at district level.
8. All these activities, aspects must be reflected in practice compulsorily in identified Elementary Model Schools i.e. six Model schools in each Mandal.
9. Under Rashtriya Avishkar Abhiyan (RAA) 10 schools (per district) that has done best in science and mathematics were selected for pilot year i.e.2015-16 and mentoring institutes to guide them were also selected in some districts. RAA is a five year project eventually extending to all schools of Telangana State by 2019-20.
10. Select 5% of Primary and Upper primary schools of your district, select mentoring institutes (Higher educational institutions) i.e. ITI s, polytechnics, engineering colleges, medical colleges, degree colleges, Universities etc. whichever is feasible in the area and attach these schools to mentoring institutes.
The specific intervention of mentoring institutes is sought in the following:
1. Mentoring of teachers
2. Mentoring of school science facility
3. Mentoring of school children by graduate students of the mentoring institutes
11. Selection criteria for the schools (Primary and Upper primary only) is all schools must be CAL schools.
The role of school heads (Head Masters):
School heads with the help of science and math teachers play an important role in making our schools rich in science and math laboratories and making children gems in science and math. So let us once again look into the particular role a school head can play in making the schools science and mathematics friendly for children.
1. Strengthen school science and mathematics laboratories as much as possible. Make a list of desired equipment needed to strengthen the labs and try to put it in the SMC meeting explaining the importance of labs for the academic development of children. Send request letters to eminent persons in your area asking for the monetary help to equip labs properly.
2. Make list of NGOs and voluntary organizations who are working in the field of science, math and technology in your area Like Jana Vignana Vedika. Send letters requesting them to visit your school frequently and give support to teachers as well as children.
3. Make list of eminent personalities who worked in the field of science and technology in your area and request them to come and present small lectures or demonstrations to children to develop interest towards science and mathematics.
4. Take children for visits to nearby industries, institutes specializes in science and technology, ITI s, polytechnics etc.
5. Conduct science and math melas without fail.
6. Ask science and math teachers to give extra concentration on those students who show inclination towards science and math.
7. School complex HMs should make science teacher forums on science and mathematics teacher forums.
8. Celebrate 22nd December Mathematics day and 20th February Science day with proper plan and vigor.
9. Link the activities of RAA with Inspire Project.
Role of Science, Mathematics Teachers:
1. Use all possible equipment while teaching science and math. Procure equipment in consultation with school head (HM).
2. Encourage children to develop interest towards science and math.
3. Science math teachers must prepare teaching plans and should develop one project per month.
4. Give importance to the classroom process, based on Experiments, projects giving due importance to observation, experimentation, investigation, inference drawing, model building, rational reasoning, testability and problem solving.
5. One important thing is identify children who are doing extremely good in science and mathematics and report them to school head. Children who are intelligent in science and math will be facilitated under RAA scheme. They will be encouraged to reach heights in science and technology.
6. Do not discourage or scold children who do not do well in math. Children should not feel fear of mathematics or mathematics teacher.
7. Make science/math clubs for children in co-ordination with other classes.
8. Prepare students to participate in inner school, district, state/National math and science competitions/Olympiads etc.
Under Rashtriya Avishkar Abhiyan (RAA) 10 schools (per district) that has done best in science and math will be selected for pilot year i.e.2015-16 and special facilities will be provided for them. RAA is a five year project eventually extending to all schools of Telangana State by 2019-20. So once again let us prepare ourselves to make army of children who are experts in science, mathematics and technology.
Guidelines to implement Rashtriya Avishkar Abhiyan(RAA) in TS AP Schools