Norms for Purchasing of Books, Periodicals, Science Material etc.at School levelNorms for Purchasing of Books, Periodicals, Science Material etc.at School level: While communicating a list of Laboratory Equipments & Lab Consumables (Phy.Science, Bio.Science & Mathematics) of the Director, SCERT received through the reference 5th mentioned in guidelines, to all the Secondary Schools in the State they have been requested to instruct the concerned to purchase the needy and useful items for imparting Science Education to IX & X Class studying students in the School subject to condition that "so far as the schools not having proper/functional lab, while spending the funds released for purchase of lab consumables/ equipment and only such items may be purchased which are easily storable and would assist towards gradual building up of a proper lab".
Norms for Purchasing of Books, Periodicals, Science Material etc.at School level
After going through the "Catalogues obtained from KVS, NCERT, NBT, CBT, Telugu Academy and Telugu University" the Committee
unanimously recommended to suggest to procure the following Books, Periodicals, news papers etc. and the details of lists are as follows:
- I. LIST OF K.V APPROVED PERIODICALS FOR SCHOOL LIBRARIES (17 Periodicals)
- II. TITLES SUGGESTED FROM THE CATALOGUE OF NCERT GENERAL PUBLICATIONS (20 Titles)
- III. TITLE SUGGESTED FROM THE CATALOGUE OF NATIONAL BOOK TRUST -INDIA (2006- POPULAR SCIENCE BOOKS) (27 Titles)
- IV. TITLES COLLECTED FROM THE CATALOGUE OF NEHRU BALAPUSHTAKALAYA BOOKS FOR CHILDREN
- V. TELUGU ACADEMY PRACHURANALU (23 Publications) (List Separately Appended)
II. TITLES SUGGESTED FROM THE CATALOGUE OF NCERT GENERAL PUBLICATIONS
III. TITLES SUGGESTED FROM THE CATALOGUE OF NATIONAL BOOK TRUST - INDIA (2006 - POPULAR SCIENCE BOOKS)
IV. TITLES COLLECTED FROM THE CATALOGUE OF NEHRU BALAPUSHTAKALAYA BOOKS FOR CHILDREN
In addition to the above one English daily news paper preferably 'Hindu' and One Telugu /Urdu daily news paper recommended to arrange to the School Library.
The Committee members further gone through the "Manual on Science laboratory kit at Secondary level" provided by NCERT, New Delhi and the information provided by Prof.& Head, Workshop Department, NCERT, New Delhi.
It is unanimously recommended to suggest to procure NCERT, New Delhi designed and developed Secondary Science Kit (SSK) as per the scale recommended here under.
And so on as per the Students ratio @1:30.
As the Science Kit (SSK) contains only Physics, Chemistry and Biology subjects the committee recommended to procure Mathematics Kit also separately designed and developed by the NCERT, New Delhi,
The Committee also suggested to follow the break up as here under:
1. Purchase of Kits including Mathematics Rs. 22,000/-
2. Purchase of Science charts and models Rs. 1,000/-
3. Purchase of Lab consumable articles Rs. 1,500/-
4. Maintenance, Replacement & Repair of the Lab equipment Rs. 500/-
The Committee suggested to procure the Science Kits only through NCERT, empanelled suppliers/firms.The List1 of suppliers furnished by NCERT through the reference 6th read above is herewith ppended to this proceedings with a request to procure them duly conducting SMDC meeting at School level:
In addition to the above they have also requested to follow the following guidelines scrupulously in selecting the Books etc. purchasing under School Annual Grants:
- When book reading is going down steeply, only the books that are reprinted many times standout as useful.and popular books. It can be a right guideline to purchase the books that are reprinted more than three times.
- General books in Physical & Social Sciences and Literature should be preferred
- Books that inculcate a sense of patriotism and love for is culture may be procure.
- Books on great Nation builders and National leaders that inspire younger generation for a better future India need to be included i.e., Vivekananda, JC Bose, APJ Abdul Kellam etc.
- Books that inculcate human values among children need to be included.
- In schools, youngsters are in formative stage and the books, which impart knowledge about their life, will serve definite purpose than the books that impart general knowledge about the outside world. Books, which are useful in day-to-day life, are to be prefenid.
- Most of the youngsters entertain negative feelings like shyness, fear, anxiety, low opinion about themselves. ! To help young students to come out of such feelings and to build confidence, all sensible books on personality development are to be preferred.
- Books that are popular and sold in good number in bookshops are to be preferred to the books that are mainly published for supply to libraries and other institutions only.
- Books which help both parents and teachers alike, to adopt the right attitude while dealing with growing minds that explain the behaviour of teenagers and the best possibilities to deal with them are to be preferred.
- Books, which help youngsters to understand basic techniques of preparing for exams and to face them successfully, area to be preferred.
- Most of the rural students are haunted with anxiety, tension, insecurity, inadequacy feelings and easily get into depression. Books, which explain at great length how to understand abno al behaviour in the early stage and the methods to correct it and suggest the ways to develop healthy attitude, should be procured.
- Since two decades quality fiction is not being published in Andhra Pradesh. Hen& purchase of fiction books can be limited to 10% of total purchases.