BITS Pilani Ph.D/Doctoral Programme Programme Admission 2016 NotificationAdmission to M.E/M.Pharm/Ph.D Programme (for academic year 2016-17): Birla Institute of Technology & Science, Pilani has published the Ph.D Programme Admission notification for the academic year 2016-2017. Applications are invited for admission to Ph.D. Programmes at Pilani, Goa and Hyderabad campuses in following disciplines: Biological Sciences, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Civil Engineering, Computer Science, Economics and Finance, Electrical & Electronics Engineering, Management, Mathematics, Mechanical Engineering, Pharmacy, Physics, Humanities and Social Sciences, Interdisciplinary areas such as Biotechnology, Energy, Environment, Robotics, Nano-science & Nanotechnology, Water Management etc. For availability of full time/part time PhD admissions in any specific discipline at a campus.
BITS Pilani is a “Deemed to be University” under Section 3 of UGC Act since 1964. Its campuses in Pilani, Goa, Hyderabad and Dubai provide an all-round educational and co-curricular experience that is second to none in India. It offers UG, PG and PhD level programmes in Engineering, Science, Pharmacy, Management, Economics & Finance and Humanities & Social Sciences.
Eligibility criteria & Academic Qualification:
1. Candidate should be working in an organization that collaborate with BITS Pilani for Practice school/ Research/WILP activities.
2. Candidate should hold ME/ MS degree of BITS Pilani or its equivalent with minimum of 60% marks.
3. Should be able to choose one of the BITS faculty as supervisor and/or as co supervisor.
4. Should obtain no objection certificate from his/her organization.
1. Admission notification will remain open on admission office website, throughout the year.
2. A candidate aspiring for admission will download the form and submit to the admission office.
3. Admission office will put application no and will send the forms to Dean, ARD.
4. Application forms will be processed four time in a year (tentative dates; 15-Mar, 15-Jun,15-Sep, 15-Dec of every year)
5. Preliminary short-listing will be done by AGC (earlier called 1.08 committee) based on following criteria:
- Candidate should hold higher degree of BITS or equivalent
- Possible supervisor/co-supervisor should be identified from the the organization.
- The identified supervisor/co-supervisor should hold PhD degree.
- Candidate should be working in an organization that has collaboration with BITS or have potential to get collaboration (to be decided by Dean PS/ Dean WILPD/ Dean SRCD).
6. Based on above criteria, applications are divided into three baskets.
A: candidate fulfilling all criteria
B: candidates fulfilling all criteria but are working in non collaborative organization where future collaboration is possible.
C: Candidates not fulfilling above criteria.
7. A and B category application forms are send to respective Departments for suitability of research area. Sometime, more than one department opinion will be required (in case of interdisciplinary work).
8. Based on the recommendations, Dean admission will announce the results under following categories
9. A communication is send to all short listed candidate by Dean ARD
A. Based on the choice mentioned by the candidate, he will be assigned to a particular campus for further monitoring. Contact details of concerned HoD/ DRC convener will be communicated for choosing sub area and date of PhD qualifying examination.
B. The last date by which a candidate has to clear PhD qualifying examination (two semesters following the semester in which application is short listed), be mentioned
10. Separate communication is send to candidates who are placed in “pending” category. They need to contact Dean PS/Dean WILP, for establishing collaboration within a stipulated time of six months. After getting confirmation from respective dean, they will receive communication as stated in # 9 and will be allowed to appear in PhD qualifying examination.
11. After passing the qualifying examination, Dean ARD will inform admission office to make formal admission offer
Read | BITS Pilani Higher Degree(PG) Programmes
Assistantship: Those admitted to full time Ph.D. programme will be considered for Project/Research Assistantships to the tune of Rs. 13,200/- to Rs. 18,200/- pm or more. Selected candidates will be required to participate in teaching and other developmental programme of the institute under the guidance of a mentor. For details please visit www.bitsadmission.com.
Schedule of Fees (For the Academic year 2016-17):
All fees are to be paid in advance. Only caution deposit and mess advance is refundable after adjustment of dues at the time of withdrawal from the Institute. This applies to prospective candidates who are seeking admission as well as ongoing students of the Institute.
Ph.D Program Application Form
Eligible candidates should apply through the prescribed application form available online at www.bitsadmission.com and take the printout of the filled form. The completed application form along with the prescribed fee of Rs. 2200/- should be sent to Dean Admissions, BITS Pilani – 333031, so as to reach on or before 5 p.m. 20th May 2016. Details of fee payment modes are available at the website while applying online.
Candidates can apply through online mode. @ http://projects.bitsadmission.com/PHD/phapply/OnlineReg.aspx
1. Last date for completed application form to reach admission office: 18/5/2016 (5.00 PM)
2. Declaration of shortlist to candidates (through BITS website): 3/6/2016
3. Test / Interviews: 20/7/ 2016
4. Announcement of admission offers to PhD Programmes: 23/7/ 2016
5. Admission of Selected students: 29/7/ 2016
6. Freshmen Orientation Programme: 30-31, July 2016
7. Registration: 1/8/ 2016
BITS Pilani Ph.D/Doctoral Programme: