Day 46-Spoken English to School Teachers - Learn GrammarSpoken English to School Teachers - Day 46: Spoken English training to teachers by whatsapp, Innovative spoken English Programme, Day wise spoken English classes, whatsapp English course, 5 words-5 sentences-pro verbs, Grammar, vocabulary, English lessons, Learn English, Learn Tenses. Day 46- Spoken English to Teachers - Learn Tenses,Vocabulary,Verb forms,Prepositions,Structures,Grammar focus,Words often mistaken.
SPOKEN ENGLISH DAY-46(10-05-2016)
Dear friends today, let's observe the usage of 'Used to' structure
1. It is mainly used to talk about habits in the past and not continued in the present.
2. Action that happened regularly in the past and doesn't happen anymore.
'Used to' is used ONLY to talk about the past habitual action.
You can only use it in the simple past tense. It is not used in any other verb tense.
In this structure we use
1. Used to
2. didn't use to/ never used to
Subject + used to + V1 + object +time frame.
Subject + didn't use to + V1+object
Subject + never +used to + V1 + object.
1. I used to play cricket when I was in school.
2. He never used to bunk classes in the college.
3. My brother used to enjoy riding a bike five years ago.
4. She used to participate in all the inter school competitions.
5. I used to go to school on foot.
6. We used to go to church every Sunday.
7. I never used to attend tuition classes.
We often use 'used to' to emphasize a contrast between the past and Present.
Words often mistaken:
We often misuse certain words. Let us observe and get a clarity.
1 . brake / break:
brake: వేగాన్ని నిరోధించే పరికరం
The car stopped as she applied the brake.
When did she break the window pane?
2.fare / fair:
fare: ప్రయాణముకు అయ్యే ఖర్చు
The flight fare to chennai is lesser than the first ac fare by train.
We have a fair in our village every Wednesday.
3.peace / piece
The white colour in the Indian National flag stands for peace.
Rajesh wanted to have a large piece of cake.
4. gilt / guilt
gilt: బంగారు పూత
The flower vase was covered with gilt.
guilt: నేరము / పాపం
The jury determines the defendant's guilt or innocence.
5.site / sight
Site: అనువైన స్థలం
I have a plan to purchase a site in Jubliee Hills.
sight: చూపు / దృష్టి
If your sight is poor, you shouldn't drive a car.
Today lets observe the difference in the usage of 'among and between'
It refers to people or things when you are talking about them as a group.
It talks about the position in relation to other.
1) Kalpana Chawla was the only woman astronaut among those chosen for the space trip.
2) Mr. Sharma has divided his property among his 5 sons.
It is used for two persons or two things.
It talks about the position seperating two objects / persons.
1) There will be a competition between Rahul and Priyanka for the Prime ministership.
2) The letter ‘y’ lies between ‘x’ and ‘z’.