Organize National Voters Day Celebrations and Competitions in Educational institutionsOrganize National Voters Day Celebrations on 25th January 2017 and Competitions in Educational institutions - National Voters Day on 25th January, 2017 -Organizing the National Voters Day and competitions in Educational institutions: Reference: Chief Electoral Officer, Telangana, Hyderabad U.O.Note No. 491, Dtd: 21-11-2016. The reference cited, wherein the Chief Electoral Officer, Telangana, Hyderabad has requested to organize National Voters' Day celebrations on 25th January, 2017 to register the newly eligible youth (18+) in the electoral roll and also to promote electoral participation and requested that Schools and other educational institutions in the District are instructed to organize National Voters Day for infusion of democratic values among the students who are the future electors of the country and they also organize activities like debates, declamations, mock polls, drawing and quiz competitions on or during run-up to National Voters Day with the theme of democracy and electoral participation and also requested to take the NVD Pledge on 25.01.2017 to promote democratic electoral participation.
Therefore while enclosing the reference cited, I request you to take necessary action for celebrating the National Voters' Day on the above activities at Higher Education level/ School Education level in the District.
National Voters' Day on 25th January, 2017
Organising the National Voters' Day and competitions in educational institutionsThe 7th National Voters' Day shall be celebrated across the country at State, District and Booth level. The national NVD function at New Delhi is being graced by the Honourable President of India. While the theme for the 6th National Voters' day was 'Inclusive and Qualitative Electoral Participation, 7th NVD theme is "Empowering Young and Future Voters". The NVD celebrations in the State, as in the past, shall have the following components m addition to any other component that the CEO and the DEO may like to incorporate.
A. BASIC ACTIVITIES:
The Booth Level Officers (BLOs) in each polling station area shall felicitate the newly registered voters on 25111 January every year in a brief ceremony/ public function to be arranged by DEO/ ERO. As prescribed by the Commission, a badge with its logo with the slogan "Proud to be a Voter - Ready to Vote" shall also be provided by the BLOs to the new electors during the felicitation ceremony along with their EPIC. The DEOs would arrange for the venue and logistics required for the brief ceremony/ public function, in each polling station area.
ii. The AEROs and ER Os of the constituency shall participate in the ceremony/ public function
of those Part(s) under their jurisdiction where largest number of newly registered electors would be felicitated.
iii. The DEO shall organize appropriate events at the District headquarters, in association with
Panchayat organizations, academic institutions, civil society groups, organizations of youth volunteers like NSS, NCC, Scouts & Guides, NYKS, media etc .. In this event, EPIC shall be distributed among new voters of the local polling station areas.
rv, The CEO of the State/UT concerned would organize events in the State capital in association
with Media, Civil Society, Opinion Groups, Youth Volunteer Groups, State Administration, State Election Commission and Corporates etc. In this event also, EPIC shall be distributed among new voters of the local polling station area.
v . Deployment of dedicated staff at Block, Sub-division and District levels may be done to
effectively undertake NVD related activities.
vi. BLOs may be trained about their role for NVD activities by the EROs/AEROs, well rn
B. CONCURRENT ACTIVITIES
1. Special Camps may be held with prior -publicity to allow electors to surrender duplicate registrations by filling form 7.
2. Separate Boxes may be kept in public places to facilitate electors to deposit form 6, Form 7 or
3. Citizens may be encouraged to fill part 4 while filling Form 6, to give details of their past registrations through proper dissemination of information in this regard.
Enhancement of Youth Participation
1. "Young Voter's. Festival" through competitions in all Higher Secondary schools and Higher Educational Institutions, i.e. Colleges and Universities to be organized by DEO/ERO to serve as a build-up to NVD. Attractive prizes may be given to the winner of the competitions at District and State levels.
2. Online engagement with netizens in the form of activities, online games and competitions. iii. The District and State level winning entries to be showcased on CEOs websites.
Enhancement of Women's Participation
1. For maximization of women registration, women-specific SVEEP campaign may be developed by CEOs.
2. Special focus may be on newly married women for getting them registered at place of
marriage and deletion of name from previous roll.
3. Women centric activities may be taken up to mobilize women for registration.
4. Sensitization of the BLOs towards women may be taken up during training.
5. A WW, ASHA and women self help groups are to be engaged for capacity building.
6. Women icons may be engaged for motivating the women through promotional messages.
1. Specific campaigns for creating awareness among urban migrants, persons with disabilities, tribal communities, homeless persons, transgenders, marginalised sections, and other identified groups.
11. Special registration drives for maximum enrolment of these groups.
lit. Collaboration with NGOs, CSOs, Government Departments, PSUs and Corporates for reaching out to and actively engaging these groups.
iv. Special drive may also be undertaken for Service personnel utilizing the Army Day that falls
on 15th January just ahead of NVD. In addition, the Service personnel may be engaged with during the NVD celebrations as well.
C. ENVIRONMENT BUlLDING
1. Engagement of various forms of media-print, audio-visual, outdoor advertisement, troupes etc. for environment building.
11. FM and Community Radio may be widely utilized.
iii. SMSes, e-mails, messages on social media etc. for propagating the theme.
iv, Propagation of NVD theme through schemes and programs run by the Government for non•
election going state.
v. The NVD theme and related messages in form of posters and banners should be prominently displayed in the offices of the CEO, DEO, ERO and the VFCs (wherever functional).
vi. A Print Advertisement shall be brought out on 251h January highlighting the theme.
i. NVD may be celebrated m all Schools and Colleges and administered the NVD pledge through issue of necessary circulars.
11. Doordarshan (DD), All India Radio (AIR), Directorate of Field Publicity to be engaged for wide publicity and coverage of NVD.
tu, Railways to be made partner for National Voters' Day publicity. iv. Civil Society, Corporate Houses and PSUs to be made partner.
v, Appeals/ messages by local icons.
vi. All print media should be encouraged to propagate the concept and celebrations of National
Voters' Day on voluntary and free-of-cost basis.
State Awards are to be awarded at the State NVD function. States that have had Assembly Elections in 2017 may also suitably reward/felicitate Best Polling Official/Team after chalking out a scheme, to honour officials and team who have rendered outstanding services in adverse or difficult conditions. The preparations for the NVD at district and booth level may be closely monitored by the
office of the CEO. Two reports are to be submitted online (in the PGR portal) on the activities planned and undertaken as per the annexure, to be submitted by I st January 2017 and 5th February
2017. Commission shat I review the preparation of the NVD celebrations.
The Departments of Higher Education / School Education are aware that the Election Commission of India celebrates 25th January, its Foundation Day, as the National Voters Day every year, starting from 25th January, 2011. The Commission's objective is to increase enrolment of voters, by using this occasion so as to make universal adult franchise a complete reality and thereby enhance the quality of Indian democracy. The day will also be utilized to spread awareness among voters regarding effective participation in the electoral process.
The Chief Election Commissioner in the d.o. letter cited has stated that National Voters' Day is being celebrated across the country on 25th January to register the newly eligible youth (18+) in the electoral roll and also to promote electoral participation and requested that schools and other educational institutions in the State may be instructed to organize National Voters' Day for infusion of democratic values among the students who are the future electors of the country and they may organize activities like
- Mock Polls,
- Drawing and Quiz Competitions on or during run-up to National Voters Day with the theme of Democracy and Electoral Participation. He has also requested to direct that all staff and officers in the Government Departments and Offices in the State take the NVD Pledge on the National Voters Day (25th January, 2017) some time in the forenoon to promote democratic electoral participation.
The Higher Education/ School Education Departments are, therefore, requested that schools and other educational institutions in the State may be instructed to organize National Voters Day for infusion of democratic values among the students who are the future electors of the country and they may organize activities like debates, declamations, mock polls, drawing and quiz competitions on
or during run-up to National Voters' Day with the theme of democracy and electoral participation under the guidance of District Election Officers / Electoral Registration Officers in the district / Assembly Constituency concerned.
PROCEEDINGS OF THE COMMISSIONER OF SCHOOL EDUCATION AP
Rc.No.191/A & 1/2015 Dated: 06.01.2016
Subject:School Education - National Voters' Day on 25th January, 2017 -Organizing the National Voters'Day and competitions in Educational Institutions - Regarding.
Reference: Government 11.12.2015 Memo.No. 98494/General/A2/2015 dated
The attention of all the Regional Joint Directors of Schools Education and District Educational Officers in the State is invited to the reference read above (copy enclosed) and they are requested to organize National Voters' Day on 25th January, 2017 for infusion of democratic values among the students who are the future electors of the country and they may organize activities like debates, declamations, mock polls, drawing and quiz competitions on or during run-up to National Voters' Day with the theme of democracy and electoral participation under the guidance of District Election Officers/Electoral Registration Officers in the district/ Assembly Constituency concerned.
PROCEEDINGS OF THE DIRECTOR OF SCHOOL EDUCATION, TS
Rc.N o.807 /Plg - 1 / 2016. Dated:27.12.2016
Sub: School Education - Celebration of National Voters Day on 25.01.2017 - Conduct of Drawing competition in the Schools / Colleges -Instructions - Issued - Reg.
Ref: Memo No. 3760/Elecs. E/ A2/2016-l& 7, Dated: 17.12.2016& 22. 12. 2016 ., From: Office of the Chief Electrol Officer, Andhra Pradesh & Telangana, Hyderabad.
While enclosing the copies of the references read above, the Regional Joint Director of School Education, Hyderabad, Warangal and all the District Educational Officers in the state are requested to take necessary action in the matter.